Archdeacon John Henry Pratt was extremely interested in the education of the girl child. He gave instructions for the orphans living at the European Asylum opposite St James Church to attend classes at St James’ Boys School. In 1876, five years after his death in 1871, under the instructions of the Bishop of Calcutta, Bishop Robert Milman, the girls were shifted to an old building on the church vicarage grounds and called Pratt Memorial School. On January 1st 1883, in connection with the Diocesan Board of Education, Pratt Memorial School was under the charge of the sisters of St John the Baptist, Clewer. The lower orphan school building built in 1783 was purchased and renovated. Further extension to the school building were completed in 1919.
During the 2nd World War the R. A. F. Took over the school and the school was shifted to Nagpur. The Clewer sisters returned to England in 1940. The principals who followed, did much to improve the standard of education and the school was further extended and renovated and the amenities improved to suit the requirements of the students.
On May 15th and 16th 1885, Heavy School Desks and Chairs, Pianos and a baby grand Piano were moved into the new school building by twenty coolies.