Pratt Memorial School, situated at 168, Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Road, Kolkata – 700 014, was founded in 1876 in memory of Archdeacon Pratt as an English Medium School primarily for the education of Anglo Indian and Christian children.
The School is under the Diocese of Kolkata, the Church of North India; the Bishop of Kolkata being the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the School. The School is recognised by the Director of Public Instruction, Government of West Bengal and is inspected by the Deputy Director of Public Instruction (Anglo-Indian Schools) West Bengal. In Terms of the SUPREME COURT ORDER dated 12th April, 2012, in the WRIT PETITION No 95 of 2010, WE ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THE RTEACT, 2009, BEING AN UNAIDED MINORITY INSTITUTION.
Archdeacon John Henry Pratt was extremely interested in the education of the girl child. He gave instructions for the orphans living at the European Asylum opposite St James Church to attend classes at St James’ Boys School. In 1876, five years after his death in 1871, under the instructions of the Bishop of Calcutta, Bishop Robert Milman, the girls were shifted to an old building on the church vicarage grounds and called Pratt Memorial School. On January 1st 1883, in connection with the Diocesan Board of Education, Pratt Memorial School was under the charge of the sisters of St John the Baptist, Clewer. The lower orphan school building built in 1783 was purchased and renovated. Further extension to the school building were completed in 1919.
In the beginning, Pratt Memorial School catered primarily for the Anglo Indian community and European girls. Later, other categories of children were given admission into the school. During the 2nd World War the R. A. F. Took over the school and the school was shifted to Nagpur. The Clewer sisters returned to England in 1940. The principals who followed, did much to improve the standard of education and the school was further extended and renovated and the amenities improved to suit the requirements of the students.